From dreaming of sailing, to dream sailing. I have built boats, sailed boats and read about boats. My other passion is photography. There are possibly too many sailing & photography blogs already, so one more can't hurt…
Now I'm building a Class Globe 5.80.
There are no small boats, only small sailors.

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Skeleton of a boat

 

Two weeks of work having finished the frames and I have a skeleton of a boat, an upside down boat.




The image below are details of the build so far. The laser level is the perfect tool to center and level each frame. But make sure they are square to the frame. I've tried to lock everything down as strong as possiible because when the stringers go on, I expect they will exert a lot of sideways strain.



























I used the Spanish windlass principle to tighten in frames A and D1, on the bunk sides, worked well.




Glueing up the scarf joints for the stringers.




6 comments:

  1. Amazing progress.. and your right - looking like a boat now.. PS. I've changed my mind, that's no jigsaw puzzle, it's a giant Airfix kit! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it can also be a pain in the @ss. Where does that bit fit and where and who's going to hold it ?
    But I am enjoying it.
    Thanks Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woop Woop! Looking good Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just met your sister and heard about your planned trip - I thought old age brought wisdom !! Best of luck but you're mad !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Jim....sawdust, sea and sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the post you do. I like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. vaarbewijs kopen

    ReplyDelete