From dreaming of sailing, to dream sailing. I have built boats, sailed boats and read about boats. My other passion is photography. There are possibly too many sailing & photography blogs already, so one more can't hurt…
Now I'm building a Class Globe 5.80.
There are no small boats, only small sailors.

Friday, September 18, 2020

Building a Globe 580 #02


The next instalment in building a Globe 580 from a plywood kit. My kit consisted of 25 sheets of 9mm Okume plywood, beautifully cut with a CNC machine into a jigsaw of pieces. These have to be cut out, the tabs sanded off and sorted into bundles for future assembly. The boat frames are constructed from Douglas Fir timber, with plywood gussets binding the corners. Everything is glued together with two-part epoxy and sheathed with fiberglass cloth.



A jumble of cutouts, ready to assemble.



I finally had an excuse to buy a Japanese saw, which cuts on the pull, not the push like Western wood saws. The finish is beautifully fine and close, I'm hooked.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment