From dreaming of sailing, to dream sailing. I have built boats, sailed boats and read about boats. My other passion is photography. There are possibly too many sailing & photography blogs already, so one more can't hurt…
Now I'm building a Class Globe 5.80.
There are no small boats, only small sailors.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Windy Little Solo Sail


After the Christmas lull, I needed to hit the water. Last Sunday, 27th Dcember, was forecast good until late afternoon, so I arrived at Poolbeg Marina after 9 a.m.


It was a beautiful, crisp, frosty morning. I nearly slipped on the foredeck frost but nobody was there to see. There's always a tingle of apprehension going out by myself, just knowing that any silly little problem can magnify when you've just one pair of hands. When backing out of the pontoon berth, I felt the Honda outboard was running badly. Sure enough, just after straightening up and rounding the first corner out of the marina, it died. So I moved under inertia onto the last pontoon and tied off again. The petrol line connection was loose, if I had been 30 metres further on when it died, I would be in the Liffey Channel, drifting !


Nothing was moving, no commercial shipping, no small boats, just crisp, clear morning.


Motoring down, I hadn't expected such a good day but wind was forecast. Approaching the lights at the entrance to Dublin Bay, I raised full sail and breezed along out towards Howth. Little by little, the wind rose and little waves grew. In the space of 15 minutes, I decided to reef and again 10 minutes later, I reefed again and was rolling along towards The Bailey at a good clip.


The forecast was for F 7 or F 8 later. I could see a long bank of cloud to the South East and wind and sea kept building. It was decision time, so since I always like rounding something when I'm out, the light off the Bailey, Rosbeg East, looked just far enough away to justify coming out. It's a little over 3 nautical miles from Dublin Port. By now the wind was about 20 knots, with a dirty sea but since I was well reefed on a starboard tack, all was well.

I came up to Rosbeg on my port and thought I would have a go at gybing. I needed the practice of gybing on my own, so slowly bringing in the main, I swung her around and she took off again reaching back home on the swell.


Sunshine makes such a difference to how the sea looks.



Flying along in a lumpy sea, glorious. I love this reefing arrangement at the gooseneck, it came with the boat and I thank whoever fitted it, every time I use it.


Still well reefed, we flew back to Poolbeg.


It was a good call to go out that morning but not push things too far. A tingle of nerves now and again is what I love about single-handing.


8 comments:

  1. Bravo, and well done! "Sunshine makes such a difference to how the sea looks" so true... Like that reefing horn-thingy... what do you do at the out haul end of the boom - just tie down??

    ReplyDelete

  2. Steve,

    There are two reefing lines led back to the near the mast, on the boom. It all came with the boat and I do everything from the mast, main halyard, hooking and reefing lines. The spring closure on the hook works perfectly, so the loop can't fall off before you tighten the main. I usually don't bother tying the reefing points down, I read somewhere all the work is done at both ends of the mainsail.

    Just trying to get out as often as possible.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Jim.. At some point I'll need to get a new main so I'm thinking about reefing options... Fair wind's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem pretty happy with your boat Jim. Wishing you well, and a great new season for 2016.

    Cheers,
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bill,

    I'm continually amazed these Westerly boats and others like them, are over 40 years old and going strong. If maintained, they will see me out !

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are things going with you Jim? So far, I've had very little sailing this year (2016), but I'm looking forward to a day sail tomorrow aboard my old Seawych, 'Ladybird'. I did a complete repaint of my Oughted skiff, 'Pike', and I'm hoping to take for a sail soon.
    Cheers,
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bill,

    Apologies for my late reply. I loved our Seawych, she is a great, sturdy little boat. We have been busy and I am way behind in posting here, so I need to get going. We have changed our boat again, but that's another story.

    Fair winds,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete