From dreaming of sailing, to dream sailing. I have built boats, sailed boats and read about boats. My other passion is photography. There are possibly too many sailing & photography blogs already, so one more can't hurt…
Now I'm building a Class Globe 5.80.
There are no small boats, only small sailors.

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Planking my Globe 580

 

After what seems years of bending, planing and sanding, the hull is planked and ready to apply the layers of fiberglass. Each plank was dry-fitted several times, then epoxy applied to the relevant areas to wet them out. Then filler was plastered on and the plywood screwed into place. 



The transom was fitted first, as the side planks went over it. My sequence was transom, side pieces and chine planks. I decided to put the chines on before the bottom because it was easier for me. I had less critical fitting because any overlap was planed off to make a perfect angle for the next piece. Also, I could clamp the chine onto the bottom stringer and did not use screws. This allowed me to plane without worrying about  screws in the way.

Each butt block was then added to each piece after it was glued in place and I started the process for the next piece. I used screws as stoppers for some of the pieces, to know the limits of position. My electric planer filled the shed with sawdust but was an incredible time-saver. Also, planers do not like stainless steel screws !

Bending the bow pieces was exciting. I was waiting for the plywood to crack every time I bent it over the frame. But the finished double bend was beautiful to look at, which I did for ages !

I found after a few dry fittings, the bow planks took a little shape from the frames but it's best to bend everything slowly. I broke two plastic clamps on the bow because of the outward pressure and had to use 35mm screws to ensure holding before the epoxy set.

Everything was planed level with the bottom stringer, for the bottom. It was messy to fillet all the oak keel pieces and other bottom pieces when the bottom went on. Then that was planed all around and the second bottom piece put on, again lots of epoxy and filler. I moved slowly from the transom towards the bow and used little screws to ensure as tight a fit as possible between the bottom planks.

Rounding the bow was a little scary as I knew I could only take wood off and not put it on again, just like a sculpture.

Here is a sequence of pictures that I hope illustrate the process.















The pencil lines and screws below the piece were useful for lining things up when you're under pressure to get the plank on and lined up quickly.







I had to cut this hole through D1 to allow access to the forepeak.









All was planed flat and the position of the keel pieces marked to give a line for screws.









I put a blob of epoxy, mixed with sawdust, to fill a gap on the very top of the bottom !






I still marvel that plywood can be bent in two directions to give such a beautiful curve towards the bow.



Two bottom layers of plywood cap it all off. Planed and sanded and ready for glass.



Thursday, January 7, 2021

Stringers and Transom are on !

 Stringers and transom are on...





After a lot of adjusting the frames on the strong-back, I was finally happy all was straight and true. My first measurements from the transom to the bow showed a difference of 15mm between the sides. It took a few days of tweaking and adjusting to get the same measurements both sides. The biggest reason was two of the frames were out of parallel and I 

Here's the usual rogues gallery of progress pictures.

The stringers took a lot of twisting and bending towards the bow. Several times I slowly tightened a Spanish windlass arrangement and I waited for a crack or split, but none happened. Even the scarf joints held !

Each stringer was put on and taken off several times and I always put them on as pairs, to balance the pressure on both sides. Once, I put on a middle heavy stringer, on one side and immediately could see two of the frames move slightly. So from then on, every thing went on as pairs, from transom to bow.